Forcing new basal shoots

Cultivation techniques and tips
Antworten
Tom Hulse
Mitglied
Forcing new basal shoots

Beitrag von Tom Hulse »

Hello friends.   :)
I see many of you who I haven't talked to in awhile are here, it's nice to see you again.  
I thought I would start my first post here with a question:  Does anyone have any tips for hurrying new vegetative basal shoots a little sooner?  I'm growing under lights (1000w halide) for the winter, and hope to be able to encourage some new basal shoots to start before spring (I usually only get them after they've been planted out awhile).  
I know in other plants I have (e.g. agaves & some bananas), that using a bloom fertilizer when there is no possibility of blooming will force new basal shoots.  I just wondered if anyone knows if there is some similar trick I might use for brugs.  
Many thanks, and a warm hello to you all.
Karingoldi

Beitrag von Karingoldi »

Hello and Bild

I think Monika can help  :wink:  :wink:
Monika Gottschalk
Danksagung erhalten: 128 Mal
Beitrag von Monika Gottschalk »

Hallo Tom and welcome to our forums  :D

The easiest way to force the growth of new basal shoots is to cut down the main trunk. Some cultivars tend to produce more basal shoots than others. The climate zone apparently has also influence to it.
Some of my hybrids in Florida produce constantly basal shoots without any treatment, while here at my place, the mother-plants grow none.

A nitrogen-emphasized fertilizer may be of help but only if a sufficient photosynthesis is possible.  For a acceptable growth, the lamps should produce at least 12.000 Lux.
Brugmansia plants reproduced from cuttings tend to grow basal shoots better than seedlings.
Alle Menschen sind klug - die einen vorher, die anderen nachher. (Zitat: Voltaire)

http://www.monika-gottschalk.de
http://www.brugmansienfreunde.de
http://www.ddfgg.de
Alistair
Aktives Mitglied

Beitrag von Alistair »

Hi Tom

Another way, which I use to force suckers to use as cuttings in sect. Sphaerocarpium, is to pull the existing main vegetative stem over so it leans. This usually releases 3 or 4 lateral buds as new vegetative stems.
Tom Hulse
Mitglied
Beitrag von Tom Hulse »

Thank you!  Great suggestions, I'll try them all.  Thank you also Karin for the welcome.  :)
Monika, with my 1000 watt metal halide light, I believe I am getting more than double that amount of lux, and I have another one I hope to get installed soon to make the growing area larger.  The bulbs are too bright to look at.  The bright glow that comes from my garage has caused my neighbors to jokingly accuse me of growing certain other illegal plants.   :shifty:
shaunQ
Aktives Mitglied
Beitrag von shaunQ »

i have a trick that you could also employ that may help with out cutting the plant like Monika has suggested,
you could get a wire and twist it around the base of your plant reasonable tight,
The plant then triggers it self in to growing more rapidly and reproducing new lateral shoots it is a survival Technic,  when you notice a few shoots from below the wire you can then remove the wire the plant is still alive and has its main leader  

I have used semi ring barking on a Apple tree that never gave me much flowers and fruit.  doing this must trigger some hormone in the plants and it gave me more flowers & fruit for the following 2 seasons

I have also done the same method as Alistair with success
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ich habe einen Trick, den Sie auch verwenden könnte, die möglicherweise mit Schneiden aus der Pflanze wie Monika hat vorgeschlagen, helfen,
Sie könnte einen Draht und drehen sie um die Basis Ihrer Anlage zumutbar eng,
Die Anlage dann löst er sich selbst in den wachsenden und sich schneller reproduzieren neue Seitentriebe es ist ein Überleben Technic, wenn Sie ein paar Triebe von unten den Draht können Sie dann den Leiter der Anlage ist immer noch lebendig und hat seinen Führer bemerken

Ich habe halb Ring Bellen auf einem Apfelbaum, der hat mir nie viel Blumen und Früchte verwendet. Dabei müssen einige Hormon, das in den Pflanzen auslösen und es gab mir mehr Blumen & Früchte für die folgenden zwei Spielzeiten

Ich habe auch die gleichen Verfahren wie Alistair mit Erfolg durchgeführt
Antworten

Zurück zu „Growing Brugmansias and Daturas“